Saturday, June 26, 2010

Watching LOST for the First Time (Part 1)

I figure since most of you who have planned to watch LOST have already seen it, it might be fun(ny) to hear my thoughts of it as I'm in the throes of watching it for the first time.  You can laugh at what's wrong in my analysis or smile at thoughts that used to occur to you back in the day.  Or you can just be like, "Girl, stop ranting."  Any and all.
 
I just finished 2x12 "Fire + Water".

SPOILERS, obviously, if you haven't seen the series.

1.  Boone/Shannon.  My roommate said it best when she noted that "It's like they walked off the set of a CW show."  The thing is, either character on its own would have a compelling arc.  The wealthy son who has always gotten everything through nepotism on a quest to prove himself by his own merits alone?  The rich bitch learning to care about others and give back?  Both tried and true archetypes that have a lot to play with.  What brought it down was the creepy incest and the fact that together they brought the show down to teen drama level.  While I'm glad the show realized their mistake with these characters and took care of it (read: killed them off), I almost wish they had tried a little harder to fix their mistake instead of taking the easy way out.
2.  Jack/Kate/Sawyer.  First of all, I don't really like Kate.  She's sort of this very blank character who is inexplicably good at everything.  Most of all, I can't really appreciate her relationship with Jack.  Is it just me, or is it totally obvious that Kate and Sawyer should be together?  Kate has all these weird Daddy issues and from her backstory, she seems like a girl who wants to want a good guy, but always screws it up and ends up with a bad boy.  While Kate and Sawyer compliment each other--two people with a tragic family past that put them on the run--Jack is too lofty, too sensitive.  I think Jack, with his saving people complex, wants to fix her, but I think he can do better.
3.  Charlie/Claire.  STOP BEING CRAZY, CHARLIE.  You and Claire need to be cute in your makeshift family!  (Although I totally get how creeped out Claire is by Charlie's investment in her.  I think that might have been a little overdone.)
4.  Hurley. Needs to cut his hair and shave his side-burns pronto.
5.  Jin/Sun.  LOVE THEM.  Their backstory is still a little iffy for me (there are still holes in the development and degradation of their relationship), but now they've been reunited and they're totally functional working out their problems and being all in love again.  Plus Sun is easily my favorite female character and Daniel Dae Kim, despite his weird Alien face, has fantastic abs.  I LOVE FUNCTIONAL COUPLES, leading me to
6.  Rose/Bernard.  Yeah, it was only for a minute or so, but I was teary-eyed when they were finally reunited.
7.  The Hatch/Button.  Haven't decided if I think it's completely silly or an interesting twist.  I guess it depends on where they go with this Dharma thing.
8.  The Others.  I still don't get them.  I don't think you're supposed to, but they're scary all the same.  I want to know what they're doing with Walt.  I also want Walt and Victor back together.  It's about time for some answers.
9.  Sayid.  Is totally competent and I love him.
10.  Mr. Eko.  Is totally competent and I love him.
11.  Locke.  Wavers between between being existentially awesome and judgmentally annoying.
12.  Ana-Lucia.  I really didn't like her when she was introduced, but she's settled better with our survivors, so I might like her more now that she's not emotionally crazed and vindictive.
13.  Smoke Monster.  Oh, CGI.  You are your own greatest enemy.
I'm sure I've forgotten some thoughts, but I'll have more entries as I get further into the show.

No comments: