Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Shippy Moment of the Day: Clark and Chloe's First Kiss (Smallville)

Okay. I've been super-lame about updating. Which is completely my fault. Well, half my fault. My fault for overloading and stage managing three shows back-to-back (with the fourth yet to come). And then Smallville's fault for sucking so hardcore. (Except for "Legion," which was, in a word, amazing. But I'll get to that in an upcoming recap.)

So, in an effort to get my blogging back on track, I'm starting a "Shippy Moment of the Day" feature where I wax poetic about some of my favorite couples and their best moments. These can be happy, sexy, or angsty, but they're all moments that I personally love as a viewer and a fan of these couples.

Our first pick for Shippy Moment of the Day:

Clark and Chloe's First Kiss (Part One)
"Obscura" from Smallville, Season 1

To recap for those of you who don't watch Smallville or haven't seen season one since it aired eight years ago...

Chloe has been kidnapped. Clark freaks the hell out and realizes how much Chloe means to him. In his freak-out, he tells Lana (his "true wuv") about his first kiss.

Look how sad he is! He misses her soooo much!

Clark: I keep wishing Chloe would just walk up those steps. I never appreciated how much she meant to me till now. The thought of never seeing her again…

Lana's so pretty. Even if she is cray-cray.

Lana: Clark. You can't think that way.

There's this moment of silent angst. And then all of a sudden Clark
gets this beautiful, private smile and he can't help but share the memory
with Lana with no reservations.

Clark: You know, I remember the first time I met her. It was eighth grade. She'd just transferred from Metropolis and I was assigned to show her around. The first thing she wanted to know was where she could buy a copy of the Planet so she could keep in touch with civilisation. When she found out I lived on a farm, she insisted I invite her over to experience it firsthand. Think she thought I was Amish. When I brought her up here … she just kissed me, right out of the blue.

Happy Clark!

Lana: Why did she do that?

So happy! Dorkishly happy!

Clark: She said I know you've been thinking about that all day, so I figured we'd get it out of the way and be friends. It was my first kiss.

I love his realization here. Like he didn't even understand
how important it was that Chloe was his first kiss until that
very moment. Like it didn't seem unusual or significant until
he truly understood how important she is to him.

Lana: It's nice it was with someone you still care about.

Jealous!

And then it finally occurs to Clark that he has a crush on Lana.
After gushing about Chloe without hesitation. Chloe elicits a smile.
Lana, self-consciousness.


What I love about this moment is that it's all about Chloe. Clark has been angsting over Lana for the entire season and this is the first moment where we get the sense that if Clark let himself, he could really fall in love with Chloe and pick her over Lana. Here's Lana, the object of his affection, sitting next to him and he can't stop talking about the girl who's not there. He's not doing it because he wants to make Lana jealous or simply because he's concerned as a friend for Chloe. He brings up a very personal, very romantic memory from his time with Chloe and shares it with Lana. He's so wrapped up in the moment that he doesn't even seem to remember that he likes Lana until the end when he looks away. He picks Chloe over Lana for the briefest moment and he is truly, sincerely happy.

I just love how Tom Welling played this entire scene. It's not sappy. It could have been sappy and angsty, but instead it is perfectly lovely and beautiful and sweet. You can totally see Tom imagining the event before his eyes and drawing real pleasure from it.

Not to excessively foreshadow, but tomorrow's post will be about the Chlark kiss from Chloe's perspective as shown in "Abyss." Yay for underage cuteness! (Which, of course, is supposed to take place a year before this episode...and yet the kids look so much more age-appropriate. Oh, WB/CW and your Dawson casting!)

No comments: