Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Shippy Moment of the Day: Clark and Chloe's First Kiss (Smallville) - Part 2

Clark and Chloe's First Kiss (Part Two)
"Abyss" from Smallville Season 8

Recap: Brainiac is slowly taking over Chloe's body, stripping her of all of her memories. Jimmy (the dumbass) takes her to the hospital for an MRI.

Warning: I may overuse the word "cute" in this entry. But OMG! SOOOOO CUTE!

MRIs are scary, man.

Chloe: Got any advice for an MRI rookie?

Technician: It won't take long. Your best bet --just close your eyes and think of a place that makes you happy. All right.

Her happy place.

Her happy, sexual-tension-y place.

Her happy, sexual-tension-y, beautiful, wonderful, perfect place.

Tiny!Chloe! Tiny!Clark! I want to gobble them up! They're SOOO cute!

Chloe: Wow. Sweet setup, Clark. Spend your nights spying on any unsuspecting neighbors?

I love the call-back to Clark being a stalking creeper.

Clark: No, I like looking at the stars.

Chloe: I guess you truly are a gentleman farmer. Emerson and Thoreau have nothing on you. I spend way too much of my time reading.

Clark: Actually, I love reading. I don't have that much time to make a lot of friends. My dad keeps me pretty busy with chores.

Sad!Chloe can relate to not having friends. BTW, where's Pete?

Chloe: My mom left me when I was really young. After that I was afraid to make friends because I just thought they'd all end up leaving, too. So I buried my nose in books. Although, I think I lost one of my favorites when we moved -- "Tales of the Weird & Unexplained." Something tells me I won't find much of the weird or unexplained here, in Norman Rockwell's neighborhood.

Unlike Lois' annoying Gilmore-isms, I love Chloe's pop culture refs.

Clark: Smallville's more than just dairy cows. We have a pretty good public library.

Somehow, Clark went to the library, found the book, checked it out,
and got back to the loft in five seconds.
I'm finding this a little improbable,
but the gesture was
so cute that I can't help but forgive the fact that Clark
obviously stole the book from the library.

Chloe, lacking her later journalistic instincts, also ignores the obvious...

...because Clark is just THAT cute. *squish those cheeks!*

Clark: What was that for?

ADORABLE smile! He's totally into her!

And then Chloe does what she always does...

Chloe: I know you've been thinking about it all day. So I figured we'd just get it out of the way and be friends.

Thoughts:

Oh, Chloe. It's like you're allergic to making yourself happy. Whenever she has a chance with Clark ("Heat" or "Zod" anyone?) she blows it because she shrugs off her feelings and puts up that shield. What's nice about this scene is that they address that and her reluctance to attach to people. She's afraid that people will leave and rightly so (unlike Lana whose parents DIED BY A METEOR AND DIDN'T LEAVE YOU).

There's already such an ease in the relationship between Clark and Chloe. You get how both parts of the Chloe/Clark relationship develop in this scene. First, you get the playful teasing. And then, and most importantly, you see how their support system forms. She's sharing an incredibly personal moment and is desperately in need of some support. And Clark goes above and beyond by getting her favorite book from the library for her.

The one thing that I love the most about this scene is that it really gives Chloe a reason to kiss him. It's not just that she was attracted to his adorableness. She's attracted to his heart and (since she doesn't know he super-sped to the library) because she thinks that he checks out the same books as she does. The fact that they bond over reading is the absolute cuteness.

Tiny!Clark doesn't quite have the emotional range of TW!Clark, but it's clear that he's flattered and pleased and amused by Chloe and her kiss, as evidenced by TW!Clark's reaction in "Obscura." Overall, I was incredibly touched by this scene and felt it was a great flashback that really did justice to Clark's memory.

Tomorrow's Shippy Moment: We continue the "Abyss" memory to its Eternal Sunshine moment.

No comments: