Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shippy Moment of the Day: "You're the Only One Around Here that Treats Me Like a Real Person" (Scrubs)

Elliot Finds Out Janitor Tricked Her
"My Best Laid Plans" from Scrubs Season 4


Recap: Janitor claimed that Elliot was his girlfriend and Dr. Cox bet his car against the Janitor's van that Elliot would never go out with Janitor. Janitor told Elliot this and she pretended to be his girlfriend. Dr. Cox handed over the keys. However, Janitor told Elliot that the bet wasn't over and that Dr. Cox wanted to see them on a real date.

The Moment:



I love how loudly Elliot is laughing. She genuinely
had a good time with him.


Dr. Cox: Well, if it isn't marginally attractive and the beast. How did the Porsche drive?

The Janitor's "Oh, Shit!" face.

Elliot: Wait. Why did we just go out if you already have his car?

This is one rant where it's almost painful how long Dr. Cox goes on.

Dr. Cox: Oh my goodness. He actually tricked you into a date. This is so very delicious and filling I don't think I'm going to be able to eat the rest of the evening. In fact, I honestly don't think I can have one more bite of your painful humiliation. I find I'm just a little stuffed. Will take my keys to go, though. (Janitor throws him the keys.) Yippee!


Elliot
: You're unbelievable.
Janitor: You're the only one around here that treats me like a real person.
Elliot: What did you just say?

And it's crazy, because for one of the only times in the entire series,
he's telling the truth and you know he is. No pretension. No acting.
No ulterior motives. Just honesty.


Janitor: There was one other girl, a few years ago...Red-Haired Doctor. She used to eat lunch with me. Until the other residents started making fun of her. They called her Janitor Lunch Eater. Not the most clever group. Anyway, I know that you don't think about me the way that I think about you. And I never really believed that you would or that you could, but just pretending for today somehow made me feel good for a change. I'm sorry.

And Elliot switches from anger to sincere compassion.

Elliot: You know what? It's okay. I actually had a good time.

And then he says the two words that make me
want to die in shippy angst.


Janitor: Thanks. (She walks away.) Elliot.

Thoughts:

I know, I know. JD/Elliot 4 Eva! But I can honestly say that this scene affects me more than any JD/Elliot scene. Maybe because you know Janitor and Elliot aren't meant to be, so it hurts that much more. But Janitor's love for Elliot has been pretty constant since earlier in Season 4 when she pretend flirted with him, even during her engagement to Keith. It's such a beautiful scene because Janitor actually gets some emotional depth. He tells a story that's true. He doesn't hide between his eccentricities or stories. Everything is completely stripped bare, culminating in him calling her Elliot for the first time. She's not Blonde Doctor anymore. He knows her for real now and they've had an actual connection.

And I know that so much of the date and this scene is Elliot humoring him, but you can also tell that she had fun with the Janitor. Obviously her heart lies elsewhere, but this episode makes you think, just for an instant, that the two of them could work.

No comments: